Many people will have heard of Rocky Roads. They are an amazing chocolate covered treat made with marshmallows, cherries and biscuits. It is hard to get them wrong and are dead easy to make, but I have had inferior ones.
The trick is not to use the mini marshmallows which are rubbery and bland. Use the big pink and white pillowy marshmallows. You will get a much better taste. Also pay special attention to the chocolate you use. In a treat that is majority chocolate it is worth using the best one you can. I always use at least 70% cocoa chocolate because I love dark chocolate. You could use milk or even white (mmmm I’m going to do that next).
Or even white and dark chocolate marbled together …
Chocolate Rocky Roads
Difficulty – Easy
300 grams good quality dark chocolate
1/2 tablespoon of golden syrup
1 tablespoon of butter
10 large marshmallows
10 whole glace cherries
8 digestive biscuits
1. Melt the chocolate, butter and syrup gently in the microwave or in a double boiler.
2. Once melted give it a good stir so it’s well combined.
3. Break up the biscuits roughly and add to the chocolate.
4. Throw in your cherries and marshmallows whole – don’t chop them up – they are perfect the size they are.
5. Give everything a really good stir so everything is well coated.
6. If you would like more biscuit then add it, or more cherries, go for it. It’s totally up to you and what you like.
7. Line a dish with greaseproof paper (this just makes it easier to tip out when chilled), any shape or size dish is fine. I like cutting them into bars so I use a long thin pie dish. I make sure the mixture is at least half an inch deep, more like 1 inch. Pour the mixture in – it should be fairly stodgy. Squish it down with the back of a spoon.
8. Pop the mix in the fridge for an hour or until it’s nice and hard.
9. Lick the spoon.
10. When it’s ready take a nice sharp knife and cut big slices. Be generous – you deserve it after all that hard work and besides that spoon had hardly anything on it!
TIP If you find it difficult cutting the rocky road use a hot knife. It will slide better through the chocolate.
You will see that there is no need to have chopped up the cherries or marshmallows because as you slice the Rocky Road you will do it anyway.